Monday, September 30, 2013

Lesson 2: Pearl Knotting

Week 2! Time to tame that shrew (aka fear of failure) and start making some jewelry. It sure was difficult to get myself started. I kept making excuses: I don't have all the tools! I need to finish bigger homework first! I've always been this "brave" about new and tough things! I tried to re-teach myself not to think like that, but the truth is we are "all victims of our upbringing", as one of my friends sometimes says, and yes, I was taught that being smart is all you need. I now know that effort is 80% of anyone's success (Just look at Tesla! I read somewhere that he only slept for four hours a day.), but that little hint of doubt always comes to my mind. Funnily enough, I saw an interview with Richard E. Clark, instructional technology professor from USC, who said he kept postponing learning statistics as a graduate student until one day he said to himself "Alright! Stop this!". That tickled me because he is dry eminence and I am string beans. So, if he can overcome his fears and beliefs, so can I! (I just need to keep reminding myself that if I fail, it is because I am new to this, not because I am utterly stupid. Hence, the value of this assignment is for me to grow and learn. It was not created to test my IQ.)

Before I start contemplating on what I learnt this week, here is a video on the technique I tried to learn. It is called Pearl Knotting. 



Surprisingly, making this bracelet did not take long. Overall, it is a simple technique. However, my first piece is full of flaws. It turns out that tying a knot right against the pearl is close to impossible. There are all sorts of physics and chemistry laws that are working against you, so after a few clumsy attempts I told myself: "Alright! This is not gonna work! Be smart! What do you already know that can help you do this in a more efficient way!" 1. Cyanoacrylate is super glue. I have a brand new coffee table. Move to the other room! 2. Pearls are heavier than the tread, so if I use gravity to my advantage and try to hold the string with already attached pearls vertically, it might be easier to tie the pearl right next to the knot on the other side. (Will you look at that? It worked!!!) 3. You need to hold the tread, the awl and the pearl at the same time! However, there is a tiny problem: you only have two hands! Apply pressure to the tread to easy the movements of the awl! 

Pressure? Gravity? Cyanacrylate? I was always avoiding physics and chemistry, so the fact that I can meaningfully applying some of those concepts just amazes me. I guess my Type II Elaboration (Martinez, 2010) came into play :) I connect with prior knowledge like nobody's business. Or did jewelry making just helped me understand gravity? Hm...




No comments:

Post a Comment