Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lesson 5: Wire Wrapping

Hallelujah! A miracle has happened! haha! I made a flawless piece of jewelry, and... you know what? I enjoyed the process! Will you take a look at this beauty?


Well, ok, it is not that beautiful, but at least it has no obvious flaws and it is wearable. I actually might wear it to class this week. Wink! Wink!

Wire wrapping seemed to have wired my brain properly. (Got it? Wires wired my brain! Sorry, I couldn't resist that pun.) As it seems, the critical period might be over since I notice that my learning curve is starting to pick up. Perhaps, as the book mentions, enough cycles of synapse overproduction and selection happened for a change to occur in my brain. When watching the tutorial on wire wrapping, I was not overwhelmed trying to memorize every single detail. I was actually able to focus on the details that matter and that make this technique different from those I had learned before. 

These alterations that happened in my brain due to learning made my nerve cells more efficient and powerful. I noticed that as I was trying to wrap the wire (even though I did it for the first time in my life), I handled the pliers and the wire cutter much more efficiently. Even though the technique was different, it was much more natural for me to hold tiny beads and pearls and manipulate them to my wanting. 

Finally, perhaps, even the time was a big factor. This is the eighth week or so that I am actively thinking and researching (and learning) about jewelry making. The book mentioned that different parts of the brain are ready to learn at different times. Perhaps I once had the potential to learn jewelry making but that ability has died out as I never did anything about it. However, after spending a significant amount of time working on it, a piece of that ability got revived. 

Perhaps...

In either case, may I just be happy with my new bracelet? Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Woot woot! I love the learning as much as the lovely bracelet (and yes, it *is* lovely). What's interesting is that at about this time a number of other students starting having a greater ability to focus and "see" things in the new domain a little better. So this phenomenon is not just you! What does that say about wiring brains?

    ReplyDelete